In 1901, plans began for a new library on Second Street in Collingwood. The land was donated by two prominent local citizens: Thomas Long and his brother, John J. Long.
Construction costs of $14,500 were funded by American philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The new Carnegie Library opened its doors three years later with the customary grand celebrations.
Tragically in 1963, fire destroyed the building and much of the contents, including many priceless museum artifacts from the Huron Institute. It was determined to be an act of arson by local youth.
Another library was built and over the next 40 years, became a focal point in the community. A new, larger Collingwood Library opened on Ste. Marie Street in 2010.